How do you register an employee in Canada?

To operate a business in Canada and employ workers, your company must have a Business Number (BN) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). You must also enroll in a Payroll Deductions account using your BN. Once these two steps are completed, your business is permitted by Canadian labor law to begin hiring employees. 


Any new hire made in Canada must have a SIN. Employers are responsible for viewing and verifying employee SIN cards within three days of the first day of work. Non-citizens working in Canada must produce their passport, birth certificate, work permit, and visa (the latter two may be arranged through the employer, though not necessarily).  


All employees must complete Form TD1, Personal Tax Credits Return, for both federal and provincial taxation, and submit them to their employer for filing with the CRA. 

If you have questions about onboarding procedures and best practices in Canada, please get in touch with our team today! 

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article